Navigating in the mountains, you’ll only need a few basic tools. Mostly, you’ll need the skill. This skill can be learned.
You can learn all of the skills necessary to navigate around the mountains on our Navigation & Map Reading Masterclass.
To attend one of our workshops you will need…
- A compass – I recommend the Silva Expedition 4-360
- A map (if it’s raining your map won’t last 5 minutes – bring a case or a waterproof map)
That’s obvious isn’t it?
BUT, you would be strongly advised to also take with you…
- Comfortable waterproof boots
- Gaiters (we’ll spend lots of time off the beaten track)
- Waterproofs (it rains in England quite unpredictably)
- Water and food*
*We like to be well prepared. Doing this, we reduce the likelihood of any harm coming to any of the group. I always carry a good first aid kit and a small group shelter. Please be well prepared also, bring more than enough water and calories for the trip.